Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Moving at Break Neck Speed

“We need to slow down!” I hear these words quite often. I am either screaming them to myself or my wife is graciously reminding me that we are on a crash course with burnout and fatigue. Not two foes I have time to meet. Often “survival” becomes the goal of the day. I must confess all too often that is my rallying cry.



When I take a moment to stop, however, and look at what consumes my life it gets even more discouraging. It seems that in my pursuit to keep up I have busied myself with insignificant pursuits. I have made decisions with my time without regard to what God has called me to do and be about. Putting it all together it makes no sense. I am running at break neck speed to pursue things that will not last- often to the detriment of more eternal pursuits. 1 Corinthians 3:13 reminds us that all of our work will be tested by fire. This verse reminds each of us that much of what we do on this earth will not amount to anything but firewood in eternity. As Believers, we must understand that our ultimate purpose in life is to become more like Jesus (I Peter 1:13-16). You can do this as a mom, a doctor, a pastor, or you can choose to ignore this purpose and go about your duties as a mom, pastor, doctor, etc without regard to your purpose.



As I have reflected on this truth I have been challenged to assess the activity of my life compared to what I know the purpose of my life to be. I have some priorities that need to be changed- do you?